If you’re exploring the possibility of working as a CNA, you’ll need to be able to pass the exam to become certified. To help you in your preparation, we’ve put together the following CNA practice tests with a number of questions that will mimic the types of questions you’ll see on the multiple choice version of the test. These CNA practice tests are timed so pay attention to your pace to make sure you leave enough time to finish all of the questions.
Free CNA Practice Tests with Answers
CNA training is broken up into nine separate skill modules. These skills cover the basic aspects of what a CNA needs to know to properly perform his or her daily job tasks. These skills are covered within the CNA exam, spread across the written questions set which is normally between 60-90 questions. Additionally, these skills are going to be addressed throughout the clinical section of your CNA exam. As you prepare, it will be helpful to study and sample these test questions within the separate CNA training categories. They are listed here:
Our free CNA tests are designed to help prospective certified nursing assistants to quiz themselves in each relevant scope of practice that a CNA will be expected to know. These can be used as a helpful component along with any standard study guide as you work on your test prep. Here are some further details on the individual tests:
- Basic nursing skills. These practice questions will test your knowledge of patient care for those with specific medical conditions as well as reviewing your knowledge of medical terminology, and acronyms. You’ll also need to know how to check vital signs and handle common patient scenarios.
- Activities of daily living. These questions sometimes overlap with elements of the CNA skills test. Here you’ll need to have knowledge of the ADL activities to help patients get through their day. This includes feeding, using the toilet, bathing, and ambulation.
- Member of the healthcare team. These practice exam questions focus on the role of the CNA and others they will interact with on the healthcare team.
- Communication. The communication questions on the test focus on the types of medical interactions and patient interactions CNAs will have to manage on a day to day basis, as well as skills in dealing with verbal and non-verbal interactions.
- Restorative skills. Restorative skill questions will focus on the CNA’s role in assisting patients with restorative care and providing encouragement for clients receiving therapy as they work on restoring their health.
- Client rights. These questions in our CNA quiz cover important items that a CNA has to deal with in regards to protecting patients’ privacy, confidentiality, and freedom from abuse.
- Spiritual and cultural needs. These questions on our CNA practice exam will help you brush up on how CNAs deal with specific cultural and religious issues that patients may present.
- Emotional and mental health needs. These questions cover ways in which a CNA should deal with patients with mental health issues as well as how to best ensure their emotional health.
- Legal and ethical behavior. These questions will quiz your knowledge of the legal and ethical responsibilities that come along with being a CNA, including a knowledge of the Patient’s Bill of Rights.
Your Source for CNA Written Exam Practice
Nearly every state in the U.S. has a similar format to their CNA Test. Some CNA exams are administered by a third party test vendor, such as Pearson Vue. Other states have their CNA tests handled by the department or bureau within the state that is responsible for the CNA Registry within that state. (For example, the Department of Health and Human Services).
CNA tests generally have two sections, a written (or oral) section and a clinical skills section. The CNA practice tests provided above are designed to help aspiring CNA candidates practice the written section of the exam. The written part of the CNA exam is critical as some states require a passing grade on this test before moving onto the clinical skills exam. Generally, there are a set of 60 to 80 questions that are on CNA tests, with a timed elements. The content of the questions pertains to the various skills and protocol that CNA candidates will learn in their respective CNA training modules.