Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs
Professional & Vocational Licensing
Honolulu, HI 96801
Phone: (808) 739-8122
Fax: (808) 734-8318
Prometric – HI Nurse Aide
354 Uluniu Street, Suite 308, Kailua, HI 96734
Phone: (800) 967-1200
Nurse aides in the state of Hawaii are regulated by the Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs. Prometric has been designated to maintain the Hawaii Nurse Aide Registry and administer the CNA Competency Examination process. In Hawaii, nurse aides are listed in the Hawaii Nurse Aide Registry upon completing a state-approved training program and passing the subsequent skills and knowledge evaluations. Nurse aides certified in other states may be added to the Hawaii Nurse Aide Registry by reciprocity. Furthermore, healthcare professionals who have completed training similar to nurse aides may request certification.
How to Become a NEW CNA in Hawaii
An individual who seeks to become a new CNA in the state of Hawaii must complete the following steps:
- Select a CNA Training Program from the list of state-approved programs
- Complete an application form for Hawaii CNA Examination with Prometric
- Pass both the skills and knowledge parts of the Competency Examinations
- Receive a CNA certificate and be added to the Hawaii Nurse Aide Registry
- Candidate information bulletin
- List of state-approved CNA training programs
- Change request form
- Online application form
- Track application status
- Online Verification Hawaii Nurse Aide Certification
Certification Renewal for Hawaii Nurse Aides
Nurse aides in Hawaii must renew their certification every 24 months. Eligibility criteria for renewal include:
- Having performed a minimum of 8 hours of paid nursing, direct care, or nursing-related services under the supervision of a Registered or Licensed Practical Nurse.
- Applicants must submit their recertification application
- s within 30 days of the expiration period, but not earlier than 30 days.
Reinstatement of a Lapsed Nurse Aide Certificate
Hawaii allows individuals who have allowed their certification to expire to get re-certified. Applicants may find themselves in one of two possible situations:
- Re-take the competency exam if the training program they have attended is on the current list of state-approved training programs for nurse aides in Hawaii:
- Complete an active training program and re-take the competency exam if the program they attended originally is no longer on the list or approved training programs or was not state-approved.
Out-of-state CNA Certification Transfer
The second route an individual can be added to the Hawaii Nurse Aide Registry is via reciprocity. Reciprocity is the process of transferring a nurse aide’s certification from another state to Hawaii. The out-of-state nurse may be added directly to the registry or may need to take the competency exam. Here are the steps that an out-of-state CNA should take in order to be added to the registry:
- Fill out an application form for reciprocity
- Attach a copy of an active certificate from another state
- Submit the application, certificate, fees, and other required documentation to Prometric.
- Wait for their decision