Illinois CNA Registry
Illinois Department of Public Health
535 West Jefferson Street
Springfield, Illinois 62761
How to Become a NEW CNA in Illinois
The registration and training processes for Certified Nurse Aides in the State of Illinois are administered by the Illinois Department of Public Health. CNAs must be added to the Health Care Worker Registry, which is responsible for maintaining the official status records of all Illinois CNAs.
Basic Nursing Assistant Training Programs (BNATPs) are nurse aides training programs that are approved by the state of Illinois. After completing the BTATP, applicants must pass the NATCEP, which the Illinois Nursing Assistant Training Competency Evaluation Program. The exam consists of two parts: one that evaluates the manual skills and a written competency test. The written exam is administered by the Southern Illinois University Carbondale, Nurse Assistant/Aide Testing.
Paths to Become a CNA in Illinois
- Path 1 – New Candidates
- Path 2 – Nursing Students or Graduates
- Path 3 – Military Training
- Path 4 – Foreign LPNs or RNs
- Path 5 – CNAs Transferring from Another State
- Path 6 – CNAs with Expired Certificates
Verification of a CNA License in Illinois
Employers must verify a nurse aide’s status with the registry before allowing them to serve as a nurse aide. It is the only way for employers to check potential convictions, waivers, or administrative findings, such as abuse, neglect, etc. Here is how an employer can verify a CNA in the state of Illinois.
- Online verification by accessing the website of the registry
- Mailing a written request to the IDPH (see address above)
- E-mail the registry at email@example.com
- Call the registry at 217-785-5133 between 8:30 am and 5 pm on weekdays
Reinstatement of a Lapsed Certificate
Certified Nurse Aides who fail to provide paid nursing or nursing-related services in the last 24 months will lose their approved certification. Here is how they can achieve recertification:
- Pass a manual skills performance test administered by an Illinois approved evaluator
- Pass a written competency test
Out-of-state CNA Certification Transfer
Nurse Aides certified in another state can be added to the Illinois Nurse Aide Registry if:
- They’ve been deemed competent on the respective another state’s CNA registry
- They have a current registration from another state
- They have no administrative findings
- They have no disqualifying convictions
- An application must be filled out and mailed to Southern Illinois University Carbondale, Nurse Assistant/Aide Testing, 1840 Innovation Drive, Suite 103, Carbondale, IL 62903.