If you are looking to become a certified nursing assistant in Michigan, you will need to have a valid CNA license. You can obtain your license by taking and passing the Michigan CNA certification exam. Once you have passed the exam, you will be placed on the Michigan Nurse Aide Registry, which is managed by Prometric. Your name will remain on the registry as long as you maintain a valid CNA license and are in good standing.
To lookup or verify a CNA license in Michigan, you can visit the Michigan Nurse Aide Registry website. On the website, you will be able to search for a nurse aide by name or license number. You can also view the status of a license, as well as the expiration date.
How to verify a Michigan CNA license number
To confirm a Michigan CNA license, visit the Nursing Aide Registry or call it from your phone.
To check the status of a license, go to the Prometric Michigan State Nurse Aide Registry page and search for the certificate ID (the CNA license number) or search using the name and date of birth fields.
The results will show the individual’s CNA license status, the certificate’s original certification date, its expiration date, and any convictions or abuse findings.
How to lookup a Michigan CNA license number
Use the BCHS Nurse Aide Public Registry to lookup any CNA license number. Instead of filling in the field for license number, enter your first and last name in the fields. If you are still having trouble locating your CNA license number and need it for employment, renewal, a state transfer, or anything else, there are a few other ways to retrieve the number:
- Call the Michigan Nurse Aide Registry at 517-284-8961 for assistance.
- Replace your lost CNA certificate through the Michigan Nurse Aide Registry (a fee will likely be required)
- Look for any emails or letters that could contain your CNA license number
- Contact your CNA program provider to find out whether they have your CNA license number on file.
Why do I have a CNA license number?
CNA license numbers are assigned to CNAs in order to keep track of them and ensure that they are qualified to work. The number is unique to each individual, and it helps employers and state agencies verify that a nurse aide is certified and licensed to work. Having a CNA license number is essential for several reasons:
- Employment: To work as a CNA in healthcare facilities, you need to provide your license number to potential employers during the job application process.
- Certification Verification: Employers and state authorities use your license number to verify that you are a certified nursing assistant in good standing.
- Legal Compliance: Your license number helps ensure that you are practicing legally and within the scope of your certification.
- Professional Accountability: It holds you accountable for maintaining your certification and following ethical and professional standards in your role as a CNA.
How can I get a CNA license number?
CNA license numbers are provided once an individual has completed a state accredited CNA program, has passed the CNA competency exam, and has registered with the state of Michigan.
How often do I need to renew my CNA license in Michigan?
Your CNA license in Michigan will need to be renewed every two years. You can renew your license online through the Michigan Nurse Aide Registry website. To renew your license, you will need to login to your account and pay the renewal fee of $20. You will also need to complete a renewal form and submit it to the registry that provides proof of employment as a CNA. You must provide documentation of at least 8 hours of work over the last 24 months.
Where can I find more information about CNAs in Michigan?
For more information on CNA programs in Michigan, including how to obtain initial certification, CNA routes in the state, renewal procedures, and reactivation of lapsed credentials, go to our webpage on the Michigan Nurse Aide Registry.